Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Tip for the Iceberg

I was picking up a "to-go" order at Logan's (a mesquite grilled chicken salad--no mushrooms, with house dressing), and I was reminded of a frequent dilemma. To tip, or not to tip. For I frequently find myself struggling between the accepted practices of an industry and the principles involved in asking me for additional money. But before I examine the Logan's issue, let me say that "TIPS" jars seem to be sprouting up in more and more places.

The Subway beside my Kroger store has a tip jar. If you go to McAlisters or Sweet Peppers (where you order your food at the counter and it is later brought out to you by a random person) , the receipt has a standard restaurant "Tip" or "Gratuity" line. I've seen them at concession stands and other casual dining places. Where does it end? Why must I give you an extra wage premium for simply serving me what I ask for? You're a Subway employee, making 6 bucks an hour! I suppose the proponent would say, "Well, do you tip your bartender? He's just making and/serving you what you asked for." Which is why the line seems blurred to me. I don't have any problems tipping the bartender for my Bud Light, but the thought of dropping $.63 in a jar at Subway for my Cold Cut Trio is absurd. And I don't know why.

Yes, I've waited tables before--two different places, as a matter of fact. I'm very quick to reward superb service with a 20% or more gratuity. But I just have a problem tipping EVERYBODY!!! Which brings us back to Logan's. I place a call. Holly Hostess takes my order, asks me for my name, and hangs up. I walk into the restaurant, pick up my order from either the bar or the dedicated "On the Go" station, and I'm faced with the dilemma. The "tip" line. This random person is going to the kitchen, picking up a styrofoam container or plastic bag, and processing my payment. Do they deserve a tip? PLEASE, share with me your thoughts and opinions!!

And we won't even talk about Chinese buffets and hotel housekeepers!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, bro, I do understand your dilemma. I feel the same way. Starbucks does the same thing, and all they do is feel a cup. I still give them some loose change.

To play devil's advocate....
BUT being a bartender in a restaurant during at lunch and having to deal with bar patrons or the overflow from the restaurant AND the take outs....it's insane. I do believe in tipping those poor fools.

When it comes to the crap of a dedicated take out area for restaurants....NO, they do not deserve a tip. They do get paid more than waiters and bartenders. Why should I have to spend extra when they get paid more? Now prove to me that they've taken a cut in pay to receive tips, then I'll consider tipping them.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

If it's just for a take-out like Logan's, no tip. Otherwise I tip based on who I like (meaning: they treat me well). For instance, I'll tip the Subway guy my change for the meatball sub, merely as a thanks for always having meatballs - the one closest to me never does, so I drive further, even. The Chinese place at work, the folks treat me well and remember me fondly, so I'll toss them my change once in a while.

I actually read a USA Today article a few weeks ago on tipping hotel maids, and supposedly it's custom to give them three to five bucks. I had no idea. I figured, 'hey, they get paid, right?"

5:28 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

The real question is: why are you getting a cold cut trio at Subway? You do know they make tasty sandwiches that don't involve bologna, right???

I tip $1 a person at a Chinese buffet. I've never tipped a hotel maid. That stat that Jeff read has to be for upscale hotels only. At least, I hope so.

I don't tip McAllister's. At least the one near us has a sign saying that they don't ask for tips, but if we feel compelled to tip then they give it to charity. So that's cool.

I don't tip take out either, but take this into consideration before following my advice: I just found out a couple of years ago that you're supposed to tip the barber.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Really, Scott? Geez, I've been giving two or three bucks to my Supercuts girl for years.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

I read that same USA Today article on housekeepers, Jeff, and to be quite honest, I really never knew that ANYBODY tipped them until I started working at a hotel. Cleaning up after rude, messy, inconsiderate slobs (who I'm convinced do stuff because they know they don't have to clean it up) is a trip--no doubt about it. But my tip to them is usually a neat, orderly room that they don't have to clean for 45 minutes. Garbage is actually in the trash, towels are in somewhat the same location, and the knot holding the king sheet-swing tied to sprinkler is partially loosened.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Not me. I'm a slob. Newspaper scattered on the floor, towels all over the bathroom floor, clothes all over the bed. I just figured it was all cleaned up by magic.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home