Thursday, March 31, 2005

R.I.P. TiVo

We turned on the TV last night, and the unthinkable happened. It didn't come on. Actually, the TV itself did, but there were apparent indications that something else was awry. A lovely gray screen with the words, "Welcome. Powering Up...." at the bottom. When there should just be live TV. After 10 minutes--"Welcome. Powering Up....". Unplug it and plug it back in. Know what I get? "Welcome. Powering Up....".

In November of 2003, I made what has probably been the best decision of my electronic/entertainment life (besides going to work for a Blockbuster franchise, where all movie and game rentals are FREE) by purchasing a TiVo receiver from DirecTV. All the ads say something to the effect of "It changes the way you watch TV." As cliche as it sounds, I'm here to tell you......it changes the way you watch TV. Of course, TiVo is just a name brand, but what I'm referring to is the whole DVR concept. But if I'm ever in front of somebody else's TV, I actually find myself wanting to Pause live TV or hit the "replay" button to hear or watch something over again. And don't even get me started about commercials. I'm telling you......If you ever get it, you'll understand.

It always records Survivor for me, even if CBS changes nights on me for the NCAA tournament. It always records General Hospital for Leah, even if the local affiliate bumps it til 2:00AM for the men's SEC basketball tourney. Etc etc. So when DirecTV tech support said, "Your unit is locked up--you need another one", we told them we'd offer any worldly possession to get a replacement. Oh, only $49? Cool, send it on....(I later found out on a TiVo message board that the hard drive is hosed). But in the meantime, we're back to pre-TiVo life. I think I need a support group.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Dude, you have always been ahead of me on the technology cutting edge. First it was cd's, then dvd's, now TiVo. One day, I'll understand what you're talking about. But for now, I just keep pushing the record button on my VCR.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home