Monday, March 21, 2005

Where's the Academy NOW?

It seems that all 1137 loyal watchers of FOX's Arrested Development are trying desperately to save it--never mind the fact that, oh yeah, RATINGS SUCK! What??!! This Emmy-award winning "Best New Comedy" is going in the tank? How can this be? But all these snotty-membered academy voters said this was a very worthy show. I'm shocked I tell ya....shocked!

You see, I'm sticking up for my boys Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer. Last year, Arrested Development was up against CBS's Two and a Half Men for Best New Comedy. The award went to Justin Bateman's show (who knows--maybe they loved his sister in Family Ties). At Christmas time, I saw all these "Arrested Development--Season 1" DVD sets. Dang, things must be looking up.

Let's look at last weeks Nielsen ratings, shall we?? 2 1/2 Men was 9th among all programs. 17.4 million people sat on their couch and watched the show last Monday night. For the season, it's ranked 12th. And I totally understand why. It cracks me up. I mean, laugh-out-loud funny. It has a regular spot on my TiVo's Season Pass. Heck, the repeats are STILL funny (yes, it comes on during the 1st hour of Monday Night Football, but that's what TiVo is for). While Mallory's brother's show can't seem to pull in more than about 6 million folks, and as of May 1st, it getting replaced by a cartoon. All for a show that was hailed as genius and deserving of an Emmy. Just another fine example of how these type of people are in touch with anything BUT the pulse of the American people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Dude, ratings don't mean jack squat when it comes to picking out quality shows. Otherwise, besides Arrested Development (one of my favorites, by the way), I would still be watching Boomtown, Firefly, Keen Eddie and Robbery Homicide Division, all of which were unceremoniously kicked in the keister instead of given a chance after six or ten weeks. Even that awful American version of Coupling had high ratings, but NBC realized that it was a terrible show and canceled it despite drawing twenty million viewers. But will they give Medical Investigation another chance? NOoooooooo.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Ok, can we all agree that Jeff watches some obscure television???

Arrested Development is ok. I have tried to watch it, and sometimes I get a chuckle, and sometimes I just think its witty, but not in a haha kind of way.

Amazingly, the only comedies that I watch on a regular basis are The Simpsons and Family Guy. Does that mean only animated comedies are any good any more?

I probaby won't get to watch your Men show until reruns, since in the fall it runs against Monday Night Football, and in the winter/spring it runs against 24. So they need to move its time slot around.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Scott, for the past four years The Simpsons has been awful. Can't believe you still watch it; I'll watch every third episode, be reminded why I don't bother anymore, and the cycle of suck continues.

As for my viewing habits, it wasn't so obscure when brilliance like Buffy and Angel didn't get great ratings, hmm?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

I forgot to include South Park in that list too; its brilliantly smart most of the time, although they do sometimes just miss completely.

I have seen many episodes of Angel and Buffy, but somehow never got totally invested into those shows. I don't know why. But you are certainly not the only geek who enjoyed them, they are immensely popular.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home