Thursday, April 07, 2005

Reason 1,368...

...not to increase the minimum wage:

Here's a summary of my biscuit-ordering conversation today at the Golden Arches.

Me: I'd like a Bacon, Egg, & Cheese biscuit--to go, please.
Dude: You want just the biscuit?
Me: Yes, just the biscuit.
Dude: Is that for here, or to go?
Me: It's to go.

Now, here we go again. I'm sure a lot of folks will give me the "What do you expect?--you ARE at McDonalds" speech. I'm just saying that if somebody doesn't have the simple listening skills to do something like this, we don't need to be paying them 8 bucks an hour. If I had said, "This is to go" and then rattled off a $30 order for 6 with all kinds of special requests, I'd definitely give him the benefit of the doubt. But come on.

I'm not ticked off about it. I got my biscuit, it was hot, and my change was correct. Typical McDonald's experience. All I'm saying is that rewarding good people with obvious skills and desire to improve themselves with promotions, however small, is the way to go--not by diluting everyone else's salary by giving them a raise.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Dude, last night at Wendy's I had an order that was $4.26. I gave the guy at the window a five dollar bill. I know right on the screen it said "change 74 cents." Yet it still took him THREE minutes to figure out how to put the change together to get that figure. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure one of his coworkers farted in my chili.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

Didn't we learn to do that in like 2nd or 3rd grade? You know, with that paper, tear-out money that we got out of our math book chapter on money or something like that.

Ever seen Sinbad's bit about this? He says that sooner or later, the guy just opens the drawer and says, "Just reach in and get what you think you should get back!"

4:35 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

I don't really have anything to add. Just wanted to be a part of the conversation. I'll move along now.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Actually, what the guy needs is a change bank.

(http://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88achangebank1.phtml)

"At First Citiwide Change Bank, We just make change."

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home