Friday, April 15, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me

Yes, I am fully aware that my birthday was 18 days ago. However, today I will celebrate my receiving a package from UPS about which I am extremely excited.

In response to the usual "What do you want for your birthday?" question this year, my response was simple: "Cash". Not because I was trying to pay off old gambling debt, but because there were several items that I wanted that were too specific and/or hard to find for somebody to go trying to get it (and mess it up). For example: Golf shoes. I needed some, but I really wouldn't expect somebody to walk into Golf Discount Warehouse and say, "I need some nice, quality shoes--something between a 9 1/2 and 10 (depends on the maker), medium width, for this guy that I'm shopping for" and come up with something I'd like. BTW, got some FootJoy's on clearance for $60.

Anyhow, I've wanted a Cubs home jersey for some time. You can get them blank on the back. Or with a current/favorite player. Of course, the dilemma becomes, "What if I get a Kerry Wood jersey, and next year Kerry Wood is pitching for the Toronto Blue Jays?" I really don't see that happening, but who would've thought that Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Ken Griffey, Jr., and Sammy Sosa would change teams like they have? But I wanted my birthday money to put Wrigley Field pinstripes on my back.

So, I opted for a classic. A Hall of Famer. A guy that I remember watching as a child (when I was a kid, not him). And somebody that played a position that I did, so in a small way, I identified with and it gave me a reason to idolize him more. Ernie Banks. Just kidding. #23 - Ryne Sandberg.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Sabrina would be proud. :)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

Look--just because she liked the Cubs, got married, had children, and grew a mustache before I did doesn't make me any less of a Cubs fan.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home