Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Storm Before the Calm

Well, tonight is the first of 3 consecutive nights at Kroger. Bummer. It's not really that I don't enjoy what I do--because that's not the case. It's just that days that involve a Kroger shift are essentially like a 12-13 hour day, with an hour 'regular' lunch at Blockbuster and a short 20-25 minute break in between jobs. String 2-3 days like this together, and you have somebody that is VERY much ready for an off-day, or at least an off-night.

The beauty of this week's schedule is that I finish it on a mini-vacation of sorts. Leah and I are leaving Friday morning to drive to Louisville to spend the weekend at my dad's. We always have a blast when we go on trips like this.....We make awesome travel partners. I told her a week or so ago that sometimes I think I look forward to the trip more so than I do the actual destination. We're usually karaoke-ing (heck, I don't think I've ever tried to add -ing to the word karaoke) to CDs or coming up with new version, chatting up random subjects, and taking our shoes off and putting feet on the dash. At least, the passenger is. We have some vivid memories of road trips--such as sitting in my SUV behind a KFC in Texas (on our way to Dallas), making tuna fish sandwiches with stuff we had brought from home. Or driving across the raised highway in Louisiana over Lake Ponchartrain, amazed that were no exits to speak of (unless you go about 30 feet DOWN!). Leah also insists that the Dr. Peppers out of the machine that is at the "middle" rest area between Memphis and Nashville are better than any other Dr. Pepper she has ever had.

Anyway, I've digressed. Told you I was looking forward to it! Suffice it to say that I will be very much unavailable for the next 2+ days (and nights!). More on the Lousville trip later, I'm sure....but for now, I've got to go find a quick bite to eat before having to punch in at Barney H. Kroger's.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

After all those 12-13 hour days, you guys must be retiring in December.

By the way, the best Dr. Pepper's are in Waco. Just sayin'.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

Actually, I'm not retiring in December, but something else major is happening that month. I can't quite put my finger on it right now. Hmmmm.....(scratching head)....As soon as I figure it out, I'll let you know. : )

8:34 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Except, Scott, that real Waco residents know that it's spelled Dr Pepper, no period.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

smart a$$. Ironically, I've actually had conversations with classmates about that period.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Oddball Pepper fact: The period after the "Dr" went missing in 1950 when the company changed the font used to write the name. When presented in this new style, the lower case "r" consisted of a small slanted line with a dot at its upper right. Well and good, but when a period was trailed after that new-fangled "r", the period and the r's dot seemed to form a colon and alter the "r" into an "i". With the period there, "Dr. Pepper" looked like "Di: Pepper". The solution was to drop the period.

The font has changed again since then, but the period remains AWOL.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home