Wednesday, May 11, 2005

O Brother! Where Art Thou?

Ever had one of those weekends that you were looking forward to being a nice, calm, relaxing one, only to have it evaporate before your very eyes, leaving you feeling cheated on Monday? That's pretty much how last weekend was.

As previously mentioned, I had worked 5 of 6 nights through last Thursday, so I was definitely looking forward to the weekend. I know it was Mother's Day and all that, but we had already done the Hallmark card selection and only had to run out and make the quick purchase for our mothers (Leah had specific ideas, so there was at least a plan).

Friday night was actually VERY calm (the calm before the storm, if you will). We were both kinda undecided about what to do for dinner, and Leah was tired--both from a busy day at the bank as well as the whole pregnancy thing (which is a great time to mention--don't forget baby-related updates at russellbaby.com!) At about 7:45P, Leah said, "I'm gonna go lay down." Uhhh, OK honey. Do you realize it's only 7 o'......never mind. I found a baseball game to watch (Jeff's Braves, I think), and warmed up some Coletta's leftovers for my dinner. A couple of hours later, Leah was up and fixing her some munchies, but not too long after that we were off to sleep.

Saturday and Sunday were an entirely different story. Leah was getting a glider rocker from me for Mother's Day, which still had to be assembled. I hatched a plan to do so when she and her mom went to get their nails done (a bi-weekly Saturday morning event). So as soon she left, I did my best Santa impersonation and retrieved it from my TrailBlazer. After making a couple of careless mistakes due to vague instructions and the "Made in China" label, I finished with a few minutes to spare. Leah was back home and we were ready for Mother's Day gift-purchasing.

First up--lunch. We love this place called Roly Poly, but the only one in town is @ Mendenhall and Sanderlin, in the shadow of Clark Tower and the Racquet Club. Not being one to upset a pregnant woman (or fail to uphold my "you spoil your wife" reputation), it was a no-brainer and that's where we went.

Leah wanted to build a small "grandmother"-sized diaper bag for Mom and Donna, filled with a few baby supplies. We've discovered that we can pretty much play the baby card anytime for the next 7 months (30 weeks, to be exact) and melt their heart. So it was on to Babies R Us. When we arrived, we noticed that they had some kind of event going on, and further investigation revealed that it was some kind of safety 'fair' put on by the Mid-South ChildSafe Coalition or something like that. I really thought it might be "Childcare for Dummies", like people telling us that smothering your baby with great-grandmothers afghan isn't a good idea. But, I must say, I'm glad we chose to participate--some of the info was basic (e.g., change smoke detector batteries twice a year), but there were lots of good reminders, and best of all--free stuff. At the end of the day, we had a free smoke detector, auto window sunshade, children's bike helmet, and a device made by Mattel to see if a toy is a potential choking hazard.

Oh yeah, we weren't here for the safety fair? That's right! On to the non-free stuff. We found two identical bags (marked down!) and filled them will Johnson & Johnson bath set, pacifier, a bottle, a bib, a single diaper, baby wipes, and who knows what else. Several dollars later, we're out the door. And I'm thinking I need to call Kroger and request more hours. : ) We got home, put together our little gift bags, and eagerly awaited their presentation.

Saturday night involved dinner at home, and awaiting a call from Kristi and Joe. They were given a practically new bed when they were in Tupelo (where Joe's parents live) and he needed some help unloading it. So we went over there and pretended we were "Two Men and Ford Ranger" moving company.

Sunday we got up and went to Sunday School and worship at our church and were out by 11. After a quick stop by the house, we were off to Dixie Cafe for lunch. Mom gets out of church at 11:30, and the Blaylocks get out at 12ish or whenever Leah's dad quits preaching (whichever comes later). By the time the whole crew assembled, I think Leah and I had been at the table waiting for 45 minutes or so, which might've annoyed the waitress. She never really indicated that she was ticked off or anything, but I tried to compensate her some with the gratuity since we were there for an inordinate amount of time. I don't know what everybody else tipped, but hopefully it was fair. By the way, our moms LOVED the diaper bag. Perfect choice.

Home by 2:30 or 3, I decided to wash Leah's car. After that was done, I chilled out for a bit, and then Kristi and Joe came over to grill out some burgers. A good time was had by all, and then we chilled out on the couch and watched a "blast-from-the-past" type show on VH-1 on the year 1998. I had forgotten all about Furby!!

And because I washed Leah's car, it rained Sunday night and most of Monday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Good choice on the gift for the first Mother's Day where Leah is actually the intended recipient. That rocker will come in handy for the both of you.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

I should get a prize for reading through all of this. :)

I agree, great choice on the rocking chair. Your reputation is left intact!

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home