Monday, May 23, 2005

Welcome, Any & All BBC Folks!

In case anybody shows up over here from Erin's blog, wondering who I am and why you're here, I thought I'd say hello and welcome you to my blog. Kick back on the Front Porch and enjoy some sweet tea.

Obviously I'm not a member of Bartlett Baptist (or you'd be telling me that I'm much more athletic and funnier than Steve), but here's a short bio and where in the family tree I'm connected to Steve(n) (I don't know what he goes by these days).

Short bio:

Steve and I are cousins on my father's side. His dad, my late Uncle Mike was my dad's only brother. 1996 was a very tough year for us, but I think Steve will agree with me that we all came out of that year hugging tighter and a bit more often. I'm the oldest of the four Russell grandchildren, but he beat me to the marriage and having children thing (more on that in a minute).

I was born and raised in Memphis. Graduated from White Station High in 1991, and attended Vanderbilt University (fell in love with Nashville, by the way). After becoming a "financial casualty" of Vandy, I came home, began working, and started attending University of Memphis when I could. Currently I'm a "10th year Senior" with about 30 hours remaining on a Bachelor's. Most likely, a major in Math with a minor in Spanish.

I was a lifelong member of Merton Ave Baptist (you might've heard Steve refer to it a time or two); I think I grew a lot spiritually during my high school years b/c I was so grounded in an awesome youth department and church activities. I attended Centrifuge at Ridgecrest, Gulf Shores, and Carson Newman, and loved every minute of it. At my last Centrifuge (12th grade, at Carson Newman), my bible study leader asked me to give my testimony in front of everybody (the entire camp--probably 800-1000 youth). I didn't really understand why a 'normal' testimony was so important, but at that time I think I realized that it was.

I attended many Dawson McAllister Conferences, first at the old Bellevue location, and later at Central Church. I think those conferences fired me up more than anything, and gave me the confidence to be a Christian in a huge high school that wasn't.

My wife and I married in October of 2002 after dating for 5 years. We joined Faith Baptist Church last January, and love it. Bro. Danny is incredible. Currently Leah and I are expecting our first child in December, and I'm blogging a journal to document our experience.

My parents are divorced. Mom lives here, in the Berclair area, and Dad & Mary (my step-mom) live in Louisville, KY. I have one brother (the same age as Steve's sister Kristi) who lives in Hyattsville, MD, on the north side of Washington, DC. We have two cats, Grizz and Sherwood, and a 4-month old cocker spaniel named Calle.


There you go..........The life and times of Eric Russell, in a nutshell. I know how very much Steve enjoys the fellowship at Bartlett, and all of you seem like incredible folks. Maybe I can meet you all one day! I'll leave you with one of my favorite verses, which was also my senior quote in high school:

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. I Tim 4:12

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad I know who you are now. We'd love to have you come visit BBC sometime, or you should come to a softball game. Even though I play on the other team and wouldn't be there, there are lots of other cool people you could meet!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

Steve tells me that I need to come to a game....Maybe this summer I can make it to one--You'lls place isn't too terribly far from where we live.

Leah and I actually visited BBC some when we were "church-hopping," back when your other pastor was there. We never visited Sunday School--just worship. Your new place is beautiful--we were there for Austin's baptism.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home