Thursday, May 19, 2005

Can The Smiley Frown?

Well, remember my post awhile back about how much I hate Wal-Mart and love Target? It seems America is catching on! You see, in my humble opinion, Wal-Mart is usually a retail version of a junk yard, with extremely poor service. Recently, Leah and I were standing in their maternity section, and noticed no less than 3 or 4 piles (either on the floor, or in a bascart) of returns, backstock, to-be-stocked, random decoration...who knows what. All within about a 10 foot radius of where we were standing, and most of which was in the main walking aisles between clothes racks. What a mess!! If you don't believe me.......Pick a section. Toys. Electronics. Lawn and Garden--it really doesn't matter. And then note the difference between Target's and Wal-Mart's. And waiting in line to check out--doesn't happen at Target. I would say that Leah and I have NEVER, EVER waited more than 3-4 minutes to get checked out at Target. Take your stopwatch next time you're at Wal-mart, especially on Saturday.

Look, right there in the AP article, straight from the pages of the Commercial Appeal (I'll save you the trouble of having to register on their site):

The world's largest retailer, which only a few years ago could do no wrong, is now suffering from the kind of problems that have plagued weaker rivals like Kmart: cluttered stores, merchandise that turned off shoppers, and poor service. Meanwhile, Target Corp., while some six times smaller than Wal-Mart, is setting a new standard for discount retailing. (my emphasis).

And I love how Wal-Mart's blaming high fuel prices. Where does Target get their gas? Let's see......for the 1st quarter, Wal-Mart's same-store sales were up 3%, while the same stat for Target was 7%. Maybe America is wising up, and deciding that random junk combined with crappy service with a frown ain't cutting it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havent ever had bad service at the Walmart I prefer. But I have at a couple of other Walmarts. I dont go for target though b/c they are just a G'town version of Walmart. I have never understood why someone would go to target and pay $2 more for something when they can go next door to the Walmart and get it for $2 less. Seems pretty wasteful to me, but MOST people I know that prefer Target over Walmart think that they are better than others in all aspects.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Eric C said...

I don't know if I've ever compared EXACTLY the same thing at both places, such as CD or movie that I wanna buy. Both seem to be pretty competitive with New Releases and stuff. But if paying $1 or so more gets me fewer than 1529 bascarts in the lot (have you ever NOT had to dodge baskets?!), a shorter wait at the register, nicer employees, and generally a less chaotic (and junky) shopping experience--I'll do it. If "low prices", rude employees, junky and disorganized shelves, and long lines are your thing, then Wal-Mart is your place. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla ice cream, Ford and Chevrolet.

As far as prices go, I think Wal-Mart has everyone fooled that EVERYTHING is lower than what you could get it elsewhere--which simply isn't true. The big pallets of stuff in the aisle when you walk in (e.g., $37.88 microwave) are "loss leaders", but that doesn't mean that everything on the Small Appliances aisle will cost you less. Check it sometime.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, you obviously havent compared things from both places yet. And you obviously have plenty of money for groceries and have never had to watch what you spend, wait until you have kids and you see the difference in prices on some baby items. And last of all I think you must just be going to the wrong walmart. I sure dont see anybody telling me hello at target or to have a good day and come back again!!!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger steven.russell said...

I do all my shopping at the Super K across from my house because that is wheremy brother-in-law works!!! (Shameless plug)

Seriously, though, I think you both have a point. If I am going for the sheer enjoyment of walking around browsing, I go to Targer because it is cleaner and easier to walk around. If I am going for one particular item I usually go to whoever has the cheaper price.

For groceries, I go to Schnucks or Kroger. Kroger offers me cheaper prices, Schnuck's offers me convenience.

I got baby stuff both at Target and Wal-Mart. Both were good stuff. Neither killed my children. I saw no reason to spend a kazillion dollars for baby stuff from Polo, Hilfiger or Nautica. Babies don't know or care about such. They rarely sleep on the bed and sheets and go through clothes like every 2 weeks.

But I digress.

So I think in the end you have 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Whatever floats your boat.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

From the stuff that I buy, Target and Wal-Mart are nearly the same price. And even if Target is 1% more expensive (that's all I'm willing to concede), then its 100% worth it to switch. On every visit, I find Target cleaner. On every visit, I receive better customer service at Target. And the restrooms...its just not even close. Almost every time I've used the restroom at Wal-Mart, its been dirty, if not outright disgusting. Meanwhile, I've never found a Target restroom out of order. Therefore, I am a proud Target customer.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it that "Anonymous" is afraid to reveal themselves.

Here in the DC area, Walmarts are disgusting and always far away. When we first moved up here, Erik took a job at the Walmart...he worked there for less than a day.

Target is our best source. Even the ghetto Targets are fantastic. I have never had problems with service or anything else.

I would never buy groceries there, but hey, we don't have a K-roger. We have Shopper's Food Warehouse and Safeway. We have a lot more, but those are the ones we shop at.

I have never found someone that thought just because they shopped at Target, they were better than those that shopped at Walmart. That's absolutely ridiculous and hilarious.

Oh, and Maryland has passed a law to force Walmart to offer its employees benefits. Pretty sad when the government has to step in because the corporation is too cheap.

The only good thing I will say about this is the Walton Family Foundation is the biggest funder of non-profit schools in the country (whether it's public schools or charter schools). My schools have several grants from the foundation. I will give them that much.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home