Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Walter, Peanut, and Jose

There is really no particular point to this post, so I'll just get that out of the way.

We were sitting around my office yesterday, talking about shows we had seen at the Orpheum--not only Broadway shows, but other types as well. I mentioned that I had seen comedian Jeff Dunham there--one of the funniest, most enjoyable nights of my life, hands down. Although his claim to fame is ventriloquism, his show is more than that--It's not really some rookie dude who kinda moves his lips and makes a voice that seems strikingly similar to his real one. You really subconciously come to percieve his show as consisting of 2 people--him and the puppet. That is, you literally forget that he's doing the voice, and most audience-driven interaction is with the puppet, not the human beside it. You might remember him doing some GMC truck commericals with his old man character named Walter.

Anyhow, I haven't heard about this guy at all in the last several years, so I wondered if he had put up the dummies and called it quits. No way. Apparently he still does comedy clubs and such, in addition to corporate gigs and private stuff. Lookee here, he's gonna be in Nashville, at Zanie's at the end of July. Hmmm.........

"Honey, wanna go to Opry Mills?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I do remember that guy. He had a very funny act (at least as far as I remember from Comedy Central). Strange that an ad campaign could kill his national career. What's he playing now, Holiday Inns at the airport?

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home