Thursday, June 02, 2005

I'm Confused

OK, I need help understanding something. I'm not a law expert (and don't claim to be), but I thought about something in the runaway bride case that apparently the article-writers think is a no-brainer and thus don't bother explaining.

Our little cold-footed felon was charged in Gwinnett County, GA with making false statements, filing a false report, etc. etc. Now, here's my issue--all of these 'false' things happened in New Mexico, where the authorities chose not to charge her. How are Georgia cops being allowed to charge her with making false whatevers in New Mexico?!

I'm not really trying to say that she shouldn't be charged or anything--but it SEEMS to my non-legal mind that it's akin to Tennessee Highway Patrol giving me a ticket because Kentucky cops told them I exceeded the speed limit in Bowling Green (they DO make Corvettes there, you know). The only thing I can think of is that it's allowable since the ficiticious "event" (i.e., the abduction) took place in Georgia, but even that seems like a stretch.

What am I missing?? Please, somebody.....anybody....clear this up for me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I have no idea, but I guess since she left Georgia and made a call to the state claiming the abduction before going to the New Mexico police, there's some sort of interstate clause that allows it.

One of my co-workers is good friends with the would-be groom and the bride, so it's been fun to be on the "inside" of all the talk.

And did you see her on the way in to court today? Looks like this ordeal has aged her fifteen years.

If her would-be groom is as patient as I think, the perfect end to this is for the wedding to get planned, then he leaves her at the altar. Ba-zing! Take that, runaway bride! (Of course, she'd go insane and kill the bridesmaids, but it would be worth it, I think.)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home