Monday, May 02, 2005

Mr. Important

Well, this weekend I worked both Saturday and Sunday nights as "Manager in Charge" at Kroger. We used to refer to it as "M.I.C.," but frequently "K - E - Y" followed in any discussions involving the position or a person who was serving in that capacity.

Anway, instead of my standard-issue Kroger shirt, I got to wear shirt and tie, carry keys that could open every lock in the place, and sit at manager's desk and watch security monitors like I was Billy Baldwin in Sliver. I've probably been asked to do this 3 or 4 times, and it's usually because our Associate Manager hardly works closing shift, and the guy who usually does it at night needs off for something. This weekend, it was mudfest, I mean Music Fest.

I really don't mind doing it, I guess....and it is a bit of an ego boost that the store manager feels confident in my knowledge, maturity, and/or intangible abilities to be the main dude in charge. But frequently all it means is that I'm on the short end of the "Let me speak to your manager!!" phone call or upset customer. It would also be an excellent grooming opportunity if I was considering Kroger management. But I'm not. Another thing is that there is no wage premium or other monetary incentive for taking on this added responsibility for the night. Yep, I get the same pay if I'm strapping 20's in the money room or sending a Western Union as I do walking around in a shirt and tie with a master key and watching for shoplifters.

So tonight, I'm back in my comfort zone. Back to counting money and hawking money orders. I guess I feel like I'm more of an "expert" doing my regular Guest Care stuff than I do pretending that I'm in management. But at the end of the day, it is gratifying that the manager of store V-457 feels confident enough in me to run his store for two nights.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

At least Billy Baldwin got to watch Sharon Stone in the bathtub. I'm guessing you? Not so much. But I'll bet you had a great view of the women in produce squeezing their melons.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home