Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Signing With the Enemy

It's an emotionally trying time in Titan land. The Titans began last season with one of the best win-loss records since 1999 (or something like that). Then the injury bug, no, the injury ogre, moved into the locker room and cost us tons of starters and about as many games. Suddenly a 4-years-out-of-5 playoff team became a 5-11 disaster. Ouch. No problem--we'll just heal right up and dominate next year, right? WRONG.

First, it seems we have to let 6 veterans go for salary cap reasons. As much as I hate to see my team crumble, I like the system--it keeps everyone on the same "playing field" financially and disallows Yankees-esque spending. Of course, where these big-name starters end up is always intriguing, and can make for some interesting plot lines next season.

Example number one. Our main, "go-to" receiver, Derrick Mason, has signed with the Baltimore Ravens. These guys were probably our most hated and bitter rival a few years ago. We were in the same division until realignment and it seems every game had implications of some sort. They manhandled us in our own place on the way to a Super Bowl, and we showed them the door in the playoffs two years ago. Not that Mason would say, "I can't really sign a contract with you, because I've hated your guts for the last 5 years," but it is still a very intriguing move.

Wondering when Mr. Mason will meet his former team? Happy to help. This season, in Nashville, as a matter of fact. Somebody show Mr. Mason the visitor's locker room, please. But I'm sure Nashville will be very supportive of him--he's a great player and the Titans wouldn't have half of their accomplishments without some of his plays.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

That's great...I just finished blogging about this myself.

It makes me sick that Mason is going to the Ravens. Sick. I still love him as a player, but I can't stand the Ravens. Aaaarrrggghhhh.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

Great minds think alike, Scott.

AND get in trouble in Mr. Flowers' class.

I'm with you, dude. Go to the Falcons. Or the Redskins. Or the Detroit freakin-Lions. Hell, go to the Dolphins, Broncos, or Chiefs. Just not the Ravens.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home