Friday, February 25, 2005

Checking the Schedule

Now that football is done for the season (I'm still seeking therapy), and the NHL season is a done deal.....wait, never mind, I don't give a rat's arsenal about hockey....forget I ever said that. Anyway, most sports fans' minds now turn to the first week in April. Baseball season!!

My Chicago Cubs have dumped off a bunch of dead weight in the form of Sammy "I can sure hit it a long way, but the rest of the time I'm striking out" Sosa, so I'm anxious to see how they do this year. I still remember being 5 outs away in 2003 until that Steve Bartman dork changed our destiny. (We were in Florida, and I was sitting on the couch in the condo, and I just said to my father-in-law, "Well, the Cubs are now 5 outs away from the World Series." That must've done it. )

A great opportunity for me to see the team from the Windy City lies in the "Gateway to the West"--St. Louis--These longtime division rivals lock horns for 16 games a year (i.e., 8 times in each city). Apparently the schedule-makers have recently become aware of this, and have begun mocking me by making it inconvenient to attend. The perfect situation would be for there to be 2 4-game series in St. Louis--either Thurs-Sunday or Friday-Monday. One of those being over a holiday weekend (Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc) would be an added bonus. No way!! This year, this is what we have:
  • 3-game series in July: Friday-Sunday. Cool. As it turns out, this is probably my only shot.
  • 3-game series in September: Monday-Wednesday. Gosh, those early week series sure bring in tons of folks, don't they?!
  • 2-game series. Yes, you read that right--a TWO GAME SERIES, in April: Wednesday and Thursday. And just to make absolutely certain that I won't be attending that game, the Thursday game starts at 12:10--Lunchtime!!

There you have it. Oh, by the way, the 8 games in Chicago vs. the Cardinals are, you guessed it, 2 4-game, Thurs through Sunday series. Uggh. Maybe it's time to drive a little further and experience Waveland Ave.

Steve and Jeff also have a road-trip opportunity--the World Champion Red Sox play the Cards in a "World Series Pounding" re-enactment at Busch Stadium June 6-8. Of course, Jeff lives in the Braves' backyard, but Steve and I don't have the luxury of Major League Baseball being so close.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Don't forget that Jeff is heading out west to attend the Red Sox-Rangers series July 4th week. When those two rivals meet, you have to throw out the record book! ;)

By the way, College Gameday is in Memphis today for the bball game against Louisville. Any comments?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Eric C said...

That's a tough call, dude. It's definitely good for your hometown to look good on national TV, but it's really hard to get behind a basketball team that's full of people who obviously hold the philosophy, "I'm here to play roundball, and if the stars align right and I happen to get an education, so be it." And I think it's way past time for Calipari to be producing some proof in the pudding.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'll get my fill in April when the Sox are in Tampa, and July when I'm out in Texas. And of course when I drive out to find them wherever they're playing the World Series in October.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home