Monday, February 28, 2005

Bye Bye, Buddy

I've said a time or two (and thought about it a whole lot more) that having a pet was almost, but not quite, like I'm guessing that having a child will be (to a much less extent). If you don't mind sticking with my analogy here, Leah and I lost a child last week.

Our not-quite-5-year-old orange tabby, Teaser, died suddenly on Wednesday (For those wondering about his name, it came from a character in the musical Cats--Rumpleteaser). We got him when he was 5 weeks old, and Leah pretty much saw him as her first "on her own" pet; she wanted to get him as a companion to Sherwood. All indications are that Teaser had the feline equivalent of a heart-attack, so his suffering was minimal. It definitely hurt to lose such a spunky and unique cat. One of his most entertaining traits was an untrained ability and/or desire to play fetch--wadded up paper or aluminum foil could be thrown and returned numerous times. He had his share of health challenges--he had a couple of short multi-night stays at the vet's office, so we had definitely seen him in times of intense pain and trauma. Those were the times that it pained us greatly, and we only hoped that the future would get easier for him.

Teaser
May 19, 2000 - February 23, 2005
Teaser kicks back on the couch.
Teaser chills with his older brother Sherwood.

So long, Teaser. Sherwood and Grizz miss you, man. Not to mention Mom and Dad. You're gone, but you'll never be forgotten. Thoughts of you will ALWAYS put a smile on our face.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Sorry to hear about Teaser. It must be tough to lose a pet, especially a dog. Oh wait, Teaser is a cat? Can't be, cats don't retrieve objects. ;)

Seriously though, pets are family members, and its tough to lose one. Give my love to the family...

4:47 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Sorry to hear about Teaser, Eric.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I shared with both of you, I am so glad that Teaser spent his last days with Nana and not with someone you didn't know. He was a delight to me even though he never spent time retrieving with me -- I could never get him to do it -- maybe he didn't feel well or lost his desire to do it. He earned a special place in my heart as well and I mourn his absence.

'Mom' (Nancy)

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home