Monday, May 15, 2006

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen

So my mom had a very interesting evening. Nothing like your local news covering a breaking story of criminal activity on your street, and not being allowed to even drive to your house and pull in your own driveway.

It seems that some folks on her street were utilizing their culinary skills to cook meth. Yep, about five or six doors down, on the opposite side of the street. I must say, I'm very, very surprised. Mom has lived on this street for probably 8 years or so, and has never, ever had any sort of issues. Berclair is traditionally an older neighborhood, and many of her neighbors have been in their house for 20 years or more. The son of the pastor of Macon Road Baptist Church used to live next door to her, and another neighbor of Mom's occasionally mows her yard for her. I've attended a party at a house across the street, owned by a young guy, probably close to my age, who shares a mutual friend with us.

Does Mom live in a "bad neighborhood"? I don' t think so. I could be wrong, but for the most part I don't think she has been worried about her safety or the declining of the area. Certainly this is a story to keep your eyes on, but I just don't think it's gonna do very much to her street. Time will tell.

3 Comments:

Blogger steven.russell said...

I think one thing I have learned in covering news is that it happens everywhere. Heck, a deranged US Marshall was shot and killed in Cordova over the weekend after getting into a shootout with police.

There is no way to outrun the crime. You just come together as a neighborhood and look out for one another. That in itself is somewhat of a crime deterrant.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I really needed all that Sudafed. Swear.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

"I think one thing I have learned in covering news is that it happens everywhere."

Spoken like a true Memphian!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home