Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Is It Being Picky If You're Paying for It?

Last night, we went to Texas Roadhouse to celebrate my birthday. Coming home, Leah and I discussed an issue and several circumstances that have certainly been talked about before; personally, I think that everybody has their own inner "threshold" if you will, that makes the opinions differ.

Is is possible to be TOO picky at a places like a restaurant? After all, you're paying $10-15 for a steak, and most likely adding a gratuity......but where's the line between "extra butter, no lemon, with my salad dressing on the side" and "Good grief--Maybe you should stay home since nobody can really make you happy."

Leah's dad is a prime example. His salad order is usually something like "No croutons, no tomoatoes, no cheese.....extra bacon bits, extra egg, etc. And with the standard "side item plus a a salad" option that most steakhouses offer, he opts for no side and would rather have a jumbo salad in its place. He's a regular at Logan's, so they usually know his little routine.

So last night, he get his salad. It ain't big enough for him. I think it was a regular side salad, so I don't know if the server forgot, or just plain ole didn't recognize his abnormal request. Then his steak comes. He sends it back because he doesn't like the marinade. When management comes out simply to inquire about the nature of the unhappiness, his comments are something in the ballpark of, "Whatever marinade you use is nasty. I just don't like it. Awful. Can I just get one plain instead?" The restaurant had no problems meeting his request, but my thought process for the entire deal would be to ASK if they used a marinade, and find somebody who can answer to your satisfaction the contents thereof so that you can make an educated guess as to if you will like it.

I've also eaten out with plenty of people who chose to send something back because it was just a TAD overcooked or a teeny weeny bit too pink (in the case of steak) or whatever. I've waited tables before, so maybe my defensiveness comes from having been on the other side. Plenty of people have no problems saying they want cheese sauce instead of shredded, their salad dressing on the side, extra sour cream on their potato, and au jus on the side. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't get what you ask for. But in the service industry, if your expecatations are so unrealistic, and your requests are far above the average client, I'm not so sure you should be dining out in the first place. Stay at home and grill your own--that way, the happiness is guaranteed, and you have the added bonus of personal accomplishment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

I love Texas Roadhouse. We ate there expecting just another run of the mill steak and potato place. IN other words, we had minimal expectations. But in return, I got one of the best steaks ever that isn't from Brazil. I even think TR is as good a value as Outback. Isn't that bordering on heresy?

Having waited tables, I'm with you on the whole picky issue. I don't recall many customers who went over the line though. I just remember those who wanted soup and salad and to go boxes for their salad and drink. :) But I think we've discussed that before. LOL.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I don't think I've ever complained about my food, and probably would only send a steak back if a worm was crawling out of it. Instead of thinking that I'm the customer, I'm always thinking of what the server thinks, not wanting to be a nuisance.

It makes me laugh every time I'm traveling with Dad at an IHOP, and he asks for a glass of milk, but not until the meal arrives. 8 out of 10 times, I tell him he's going to have to remind the server for the milk. And yep, 9 out of 10 times it happens.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Yo man...it's been 24 hours since the NFL schedule was released, and no comments on the Titans yet. Your my source of conversation on the subject. So, let's get those thoughts written down!

Here is my 2 cents...the Tennessean described the schedule something like this: "Titans likely to start 1-5". What kind of B.S. headline is that? In fact, I agree with their assessment, but you don't print that kind of crap. Instead, just point out that 5 out of the first 6 games will be really tough. Sheesh.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home