Monday, March 27, 2006

Monday--Time to Rest

Well, this weekend was one of those weekends that could've been a nice, relaxing 2 days off to recharge the proverbial batteries and start the week off fully rested. But it wasn't. You know, one of those "I was off, but I worked!" type of deals.

Friday night, we met our friends Russell and Heather at Chili's to eat dinner. Chili's @ Wolfchase was, as expected, very congested, but Heather got off work a bit early at the Baptist Hospital for Women because she didn't have any patients. I think we probably had to wait 15-20 minutes or so, but all in all, it wasn't bad. Our server was this tall guy, kind of a bit odd, who spoke kinda fast and didn't really have much personality. But we all got what we ordered and I think he probably made his 15-20% from both parties involved.

Saturday, I had agreed to help my friend Regis, of Flowers and Gifts by Regis fame. I guess several brides had decided that the first Saturday of spring would be a great day to get married, because Regis had FOUR weddings to do. I asked one of his helper-people, "I know this kind of thing happens in June and stuff, but March??....Isn't this kind of.....?" "Weird?....Yeah," was the reply. Anyway, I was up at 7ish or so, and reported for duty around 8:30. I found out that there was a wedding a 2nd Baptist on Walnut Grove. Another one at Germantown Baptist, with a reception hosted by the Crescent Club (it was supposed to be outdoors, but being that the evening temps would be in the 30's and 40's, it was moved inside)--had to make an unplanned and unscheduled early trip over there due to the nazi wedding planner. Another was at Central North, with a reception at Colonial Country Club. I had never attended anything at the country club, so it was my first time seeing it. Very nice place. Being that it used to be the site of what is now the FESJC golf tourney, I couldn't help but think that I was walking the same hallways that many pro golfers used to walk. Sure, thousands of feet have probably walked over them over the years, but it was still a bit cool.

A month or so ago, Leah had asked me to set aside Saturday night as a night for us, as she was going to cook me dinner for my birthday (which is the 28th). So all afternoon, I was juggling my commitment to Regis with my word to Leah, and hoping that I wouldn't disappoint either party. I had told Regis that I could help him until about 5 or 6, and then I'd be outta there. As it turned out, I clocked out at 6:45 or so and headed home (At that point, all the wedding delivery and setup was done, and florists enter their "halftime" mode of waiting until the ceremonies and/or receptions are over to go retrieve their rental stuff (if necessary) and get the facility back to the way they found it). The timing was actually pretty good with Leah's dinner prep, and we sat down within a few minutes of my arrival home. My menu: boiled shrimp, coconut shrimp, caesar salad, sweet tea. Served up on china and via candlelight. Oh yeah, and for dessert, we went to Applebee's. I should mention that Nicholas was at his grandparents' house, so it was a truly quiet evening alone, which was nice. Haven't had one of those, in gosh, 4 months now!!!

Sunday morning, I had to be at Kroger at 10, so church wasn't a possibility. I worked til 2, and then came home and chilled out for a little while. Nicholas was back home by this time, and was being quite fussy--didn't feel good and was a bit tired, too--so we ended up having to skip the dedication service for Mike and Stacy's baby Abby (about 10 weeks Nicholas's senior), which we hated. We needed to go to SuperTarget to get new formula (thanks to Dr. Scott--details over at the Russellbaby blog), milk and OJ type stuff, etc, and grabbed a bite to eat at the new you-don't-have-to-go-to-the-mall-anymore Steak Escape. We then came back home, and put Nicholas to bed. Only to be awakened at 1:30AM for a feeding, and being forced to sleep on the couch with him because after an hour or so of rocking and such, he didn't want any part of being put back in his bed. So there I slept until about 5 or so when he wanted to eat again.

Bottom line--it was a very busy weekend, and my sleep last night was a bit interrupted and not very sound. Hopefully I can catch up in a night or two. But my catching up will have to wait until 11:00 or so tonight, when I come home from Kroger.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Heather got off work a bit early at the Baptist Hospital for Women because she didn't have any patients.

Wow, Memphis has run out of women? Guess I got out of there at a good time.

I can't believe you have a friend named Russell. If I could find a guy or girl named Rushing I think we would immediately hit it off.

Is it really weird to have weddings the first weekend of spring? I thought that would be prime wedding material.

I can't tell you how much I miss Colonial being home of the Danny Thomas, er, FedEx St. Jude Classic. It's such a fun course to play, and has a lot more character than dull Southwind (though hitting off those zoysia fairways is like hitting off a cloud).

5:41 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

The way I understand the assignments on the Labor & Delivery floor, if the person is working, uh, Labor and Delivery (vs triage or something like that), they are assigned 2 patients at a time. I guess if those rooms are empty, or the folks have been sent on up to the post-partum floor, then you're in the clear. And yes, it's kinda weird/cool/unique to have someone whose first name is the same as my last. Russell is actually his middle name--James Russell Baugh, I believe, but sometimes I feel like I'm calling myself or something when I say his name.

I wouldn't mind taking a stroll at Colonial--if the course is have as scenic as the clubhouse grounds, it must be a great location.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home