Thursday, March 16, 2006

Just for Kix

So I'm sitting at my desk on Tuesday afternoon, and I've got my radio on KIX 106 (105.9 on your radio dial). They do this contest called "mystery voice" that's usually a line from a movie, and you have to identify the person's real name. I must say that it's usually pretty tough--it ain't exactly "I love black people!" from Jerry McGuire or anything akin to a lobbed softball. I guess if you're a huge movie fan and gold Rewards card-carrying member at Blockbuster, then they might be easier. But in my humble-but-o-so-accurate-opinion, it's usually an obscure quote that isn't immediately obvious.

So anyway, my radio wasn't turned up that much, so I didn't really hear the quote completely or clearly. But I thought it was a deep male voice, with someone of an accent, saying somthing about "....Straight ball I hit it very much." Kinda like the Pedro Cerrano character from Major League. Now, should I call and give it a try, given the fact that I really didn't hear all of the quote? Or would it be terribly embarassing if I wasn't even remotely close to being right? What the heck.....Maybe I'll go out on a limb and actually win something.

Now, the "real name" aspect is presenting problems, so I jump on the trusty computer and go to IMDB. Dennis Haysbert. Wow, that's not a common name you hear on Entertainment Tonight ever night, so I'll give it a try. I call--line busy. Again. Busy. Repeat about 3 or 4 more times. Then I hear it ringing. Either they've got a winner, or I got a chance.

"Hello, Kix 106"
"Do you have a winner?"
"No...what's your answer?"
"Is it Dennis Haysbert?"
"It IS!! Congrats, you're a winner!!......blah blah blah."

He later says that he's on 24 (which I don't watch), as well as those "I'm-standing-in-the-middle-of-the-highway-hawking-insurance" Allstate commercials. But the quote was indeed from the often watched and more often quoted Major League. My prize was two tickets to Kix106's Birthday Bash concert at Sam's Town, featuring Sugarland (one of Leah's favorites, and the lead singer Jennifer Nettles is some serious eye candy) , Trick Pony, and others. And being that it's a Sunday night, and hotel rooms are astronomically cheaper Sun-Thur than they are on Friday and Saturday, I think we're gonna make it an overnight date and take the day off on Monday. So now the quest is to find the best room, the best buffet, etc. Leah wants a good seafood spread, and we're not high rollers, so if anybody has any suggestions on where to go to eat, let me know!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Grand Terrace hotel is a nice one. Don't know much about the others, though. Sam's Town's buffet has gotten better over the last year. The Grand and Gold Strike also have decent buffets. If you really want to go all out, eat at the steakhouse upstairs at Resorts. I think it's called T.J.'s. Very pricey, but it's worth it.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Jeff and I had an e-mail conversation about this recently...I still can't believe that President Palmer from 24 is Pedro Cerrano from Major League.

Also, Dennis Haysbert's character on 24 (the aforementioned President David Palmer) was killed off about 3 seconds into the season premiere this year.

He's now on the show The Unit, which airs on Tuesday nights before The Amazing Race. (commercial over)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hey bartender, Jobu needs a refill!

Oh, and yes, Jennifer Nettles, major hottie. (And from this area, too, so we see here a lot.)

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home