Monday, January 03, 2005

Eric the Cable Guy

I've never really considered myself to be some super-technical audio/visual home entertainment dork who has $2,000 in TV equipment but sleeps on a stale daybed that was bought at a garage sale. Our living room TV setup consisted of only a DVD player and a satellite receiver. Then came TiVo last fall (See also: greatest invention known to mankind). Last Christmas (i.e., 2003), Leah and I were at family member's house and decided we liked their idea a lot--an under-cabinet "spacemaker" TV in the kitchen that simply played the same thing that the "main" TV did--we both spend a decent amount of time in the kitchen from time to time and this assured that I wouldn't miss any Tennessee Titan TD's if I was cooking at the same time. No big deal--I just installed a jack in the kitchen that was essentially just a "split" off of the signal coming into the big TV. Still not that complex, right?!

A few weeks ago, Leah was watching a DVD and subsequently moved to the kitchen, which forced the observation that the TiVo was the only thing available on the kitchen TV (wait.....look there in the distance.......You see this coming, right?!). "You know, it would be kinda be cool if we could also watch the DVD player in here in the kitchen."

The basic concepts are simple......you connect the red, white, and yellow ends from the OUT jacks on the output stuff (TiVo, DVD player) to the same red, white, and yellow jacks on the IN things (TVs). But now you have 2 things with output and two things needing separate input. And one set of rear inputs on the main TV. Well, my good buddies at Radio Shack hooked me up with an RF Modulator (something that, in my opinion, sounds like you'd use it for an Atari 2600) and some Y-splitter thingees, and now I have a wife who can watch Friends--Season 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7) on DVD while she's making lasagna.

Of course, this still doesn't factor in my PlayStation 2, but rest assured I won't be interested in playing it in the kitchen. : )

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Forget the RF Modulator. By the time I get mixed up in all those cables I'm instead looking for the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator .

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home