Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Welcome, iJeff Readers!!

Some of you might've stumbled upon my little blog with the assistance of a link on Jeff Rushing's blog. To any or all of you........Welcome!! I'd have to say that my life isn't near as exciting as Jeffery's, but hey.....somebody has to have the normal stories, right?? Sorry, no movie review, book review, entertaining travelogues, and I've never played golf in Scotland.

For anybody that wonders about the Scott-Eric connection (we weren't roommates, college buddies, or Double Dare contestants, so there has to be a connection SOMEWHERE, right?!), pull up a rocking chair up by the fireplace and let Uncle Eric tell you a story.

It was the fall of 1985, and I found my spot in Mrs. Rice's 7th grade homeroom class at Raleigh Egypt Junior High. As luck and divine intervention would have it, she had us arranged in alphabetical order. In front of me sat Scott Rushing (aahhhh, the picture becomes clearer). And so a friendship was born.....After two years and enduring Mr. Ferris's homeroom, Mrs. Mullins' Spanish class, Mrs. Gatti's American History, and Mr. Flower's sneaky intercom monitoring, I departed for White Station High. Then it was the road trip to Nashville to visit Vanderbilt University. Scott ended up attending Belmont, but that was right down the street so we had us a good ole time. Virtually inseparable. In 1994, I had the honor of being Scott's best man. I swore at the time that I'd repay him with the same honor. Little did he know, he had to wait 8 years!

I don't know exactly how they first met, but somewhere along the way, Scott's brother, Jeff, met my cousin, Steve. They were the same age, had a lot in common, blah blah blah. After graduating, they both headed off to the booming metropolis of Jackson, TN and Union University. They continued their parallel lives by majoring in sports journalism-type stuff (they were the Harry Caray/Steve Stone of Union basketball, I think), and both went on to work at Channel 5 (WMC-TV) in Memphis.

So there you have it.....To summarize, Scott Rushing and Eric Russell are friends and former classmates, who attended junior high together, but not high school or college. Jeff Rushing and Steve Russell are friends who attended college together, but not high school. Jeff and Scott have twin sisters who..........do not figure into this equation at all.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home