Sunday, December 23, 2007

NFL Thoughts - Week 16

I'm sitting here right now, with the rest of my household taking a Sunday afternoon nap. Christmas shopping is done, so we don't have any need for the self-punishing experience of a last minute trip to Target or Kroger.

* Colts vs. Texans. Colts' defensive player was just called for a personal foul (15 yards) for a horse-collar tackle. Dungy ran out onto the field, arguing the call and pleading his case with referee (oh, and lawyer) Ed Hochuli. Now, I like Tony Dungy. But come on. The play resulted in Houston having the ball on the Indy 44. With 3 minutes left in the 1st half, your team is up by 17 points. At home. In typical Hochuli fashion, the call was explained quite well ("does not matter whether [the player] goes down forward or backward, by rule, that's a 15 yd penalty") and Tony D was seen continually professing his player's innocence. I'm sure he would say it's just the competitive nature of the game, but this call cost your team absolutely nothing in a game whose importance rivals that of the intra-squad scrimmage in early August.

* Titans vs Jets. The Titans are formally listed as "in the hunt" for a playoff spot, but that entails running the table the rest of the way, as well as certain other teams losing. Oh yeah, did I mention that next week, we play the freakin Colts, at home?!? I suppose it's a winnable game(especially if Indy rests the big names for the playoffs), but I'm just not sure if I want us to make it. After losing some of the games we did this year, I don't think we deserve the playoff spot. And I really think a playoff game would prove ugly, and would just prolong the agony. We don't have a Super Bowl-caliber team, and we're just not ready to play the likes of Indy or New England and make it a game. Remember the Bengals game? Update: The Bengals are currently down 19-0, so a win today keeps us in the hunt. We'll see.

* Packers vs Bears. Temps in the teens with a subzero wind chill. I just can't imagine.

* Fantasy. I'm out of the money in my league (PayDay or Monopoly money, of course....I don't remember which). But I am playing for 1st place of the "consolation bracket", which is 5th and 6 place out of 10. Today, here's who I need to do well (Kurt "I used to be a grocery boy" Warner, Marshawn Lynch, Ocho Cinco, Aaron "I can't believe I'm getting touches behind Deuce and Reggie" Stecker, Adrian "the one in Purple" Peterson, and my sentimental players Titans ST/D and Rob Bironas. 2/3 of my opponent's players are either Eagles or Colts, so he's taking the "all of my eggs in one basket" approach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home