Saturday, December 08, 2007

Meeting a Legend

There I was, flipping radio channels one day while I was going to lunch. New to our area is the jewelry store Jared and their ubiquitous commercials. But this one caught my attention: "Meet former Titans running back Eddie George December 1 at Jared." Holy cow! No longer is my Titan fanatic-dom limited to Titans caravan autographs from virtual unknowns like Chris Sanders, John Thornton, Troy Fleming, and Tyrone Calico (who says, "That's my favorite player...he's an underappreciated defensive tackle" anyway?).

It worked out great, as Nicholas spent the night with my mom the night before and Leah had early morning choir practice in preparation for the Christmas program. What shall I do with my extra time? Leah and I actually hit Dick's Sporting Goods (another new addition to our area) for something sign-worthy for #27. I just didn't want his autograph to be thrown in with the crowd on the mini-helmet that I already have.

I arrived at the store about an hour and 15 minutes ahead of the posted start time, and there were already a handful of people there. But the store hadn't even set up a table or established a place for the event, so a line really had not formed yet. So I figured I do them the courtesy of at least looking at jewelry lest they label me some shallow, sports-minded freak who was just using their facility as an autograph venue. I did find something that Leah would like, and being that Christmas and Leah's birthday are conveniently located 18 days apart, I have ample opportunity to go back, I suppose.

I ended up 5th or 6th in line when it finally formed. No big deal. In front of me was the girlfriend or wife of somebody that worked at the store, along with some goofy Ohio State alumni folks, one of which was in his sixties, had white-haired sideburns that screamed "Elvis" and whose Ohio State National Champs T-shirt was about 2 sizes too small. And one guy that kinda showed up after the line was already formed but knew them so thus he claimed his place close to the front, kinda pushing the envelope a bit for the unspoken autograph line etiquette.

Standard rules applied--one autograph per person. A stack of 8x10 color photographs was available for those clueless or unprepared folks who wanted him to sign their left nipple or something. The 8x10's even had the authentic NFL hologram sticker, as well as converted Avery mailing labels that said, "Jared--the Galleria of Jewelry." Marketing people...geez!

Anyway, here's my proof. I met Ed-die, Ed-die....welcomed him to Memphis, and told him I'd buy his dinner if we were hit Corky's down the street. I guess he was too busy.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Between you and Eddie, there must be at least 10,000 rushing yards and 1 AFC Championship.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home