Monday, August 06, 2007

Time For a Change

Interviewed for a new job today . . . sort of.

I've been a licensed Affiliate Broker since July of 2002, and have spent my entire real estate (albeit part time) 'career' with one company: Crye-Leike. CL has been around the Memphis area for a long time and is without question the market leader in the Mid-South area. But as in any big vs small debate, be it grocery store or metropolitan area or real estate company, you will undoubtedly find out that some people are best suited for one while others find themselves at home at the other.

So, today I interviewed with another company, but I pretty much had my mind made up (based on phone conversation I'd already had with one of the brokers) that I was gonna make the switch unless something just earth-shattering changed my mind. It didn't. So now I've gotta get signatures from both parties, pay a couple of different entities for the right to switch, and all will be said and done. And we'll see where it takes us.

I've definitely learned a bunch in the last 5 years. I actually think I enjoy helping people BUY houses better than I do listing them. Yes, it's more time and probably more mileage on the ole vehicle, but much is expected of a listing agent in the way of marketing bucks and all of that, and sometimes sellers just can't understand why people aren't lining up to buy their home. I've learned not to take things too personal, which is something I believe I'll always struggle with. By my estimation, I've missed out on over $8,000 in commissions because family members have used another agent for whatever reason. Maybe I need to change toothpaste or something.

But on the other hand, I've helped 3 engaged or newly married couples buy their first home, I've listed 2 different houses that closed within about 30 days, and I've met a great family from the other side of the state who found a listing of mine on the internet (they didn't buy my listing, but I did help them find a house!). And don't forget the house of my senior prom date (who dumped me on my derrier before I went off to college), which got me feet wet in the business.

So, look for the unveiling of a new postcard or business card sometime soon. Hopefully I'll get a chance at some new revenue streams with the new company (e.g., relocation leads, foreclosure listing, etc) and the portion of my ego that is connected to my real estate business can experience an upswing.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about Realtors that some of us take for granted....Maybe I'll revisit that at another time. Most of us can offer services that you might not expect, and we'd love the opportunity to help (and yes, maybe even make a bit of money doing it). For example, if your co-worker is moving to Bumbletree Falls, ID and has no idea how he's gonna find a house, most Realtors can provide simple information to a referral network and have someone from the new area contact them to make the process easier.

We don't all drive Cadillacs and Mercedes, and a lot of us don't make a kazillion dollars every year. Real estate is an expensive business to stay current in, but the people that are in it for the right reasons do it because they love people and love helping those people by providing expertise on an often complex process that is emotional, legal, financial, and everything in between.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home