Friday, August 31, 2007

Tell Me About Your Fantasy

Well, this year I'm losing my Fantasy virginity. Fantasy Football, that is. I guess I've never really felt the need to go out looking for a league to join, and working with a bunch of women at both Blockbuster and CPS leaves little chance of an office competition. But this year, a couple of friends and several of their friends/relatives/coworkers twice removed had a spot open and I said I'd join. Mike (husband of Stacy, co-worker and close friend of Leah) played in this league last year and repeatedly said stuff like, "It's a lot of fun...You ought to play next year" and went on to tell me how it makes you interested in more teams than just one, and how you can root for opposing things in the same game and all of that.

So, I'm now in a 10-person league, fielding a team called the "Runswith Scissors". Winner of the fantasy Super Bowl gets $150, and consolation prize is $50. If you do the math, you'll see that I'm basically spending 20 bucks to talk smack and probably get picked on by everybody else. But maybe not.

So here are my starters, or at least, who I drafted first to primarily be my starters. Hopefully they'll take me home to glory by early January.

QB - Vince Young, Titans
RB - Larry Johnson, Chiefs
RB - Reggie Bush, Aints
RB - Marshawn Lynch, Bills
WR - Chad Johnson, Bengals
WR - Hines Ward, Steelers
TE - Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
DE/ST - Chargers
K - Jeff Wilkins, Rams

Good gosh, this thing is serious business. CBS and ESPN both had Fantasy Football specials that I know of, and there might've been others. I counted at least 4 or 5 magazines at Kroger one night dedicated only to Fantasy Football. The likes of Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings openly market to Fantasy leagues to host their draft party there (which obviously translates to $$$). There are still articles being written on ESPN about teams ease of schedule and how it affects Fantasy scheduling and all of that. I won't show all my cards here in case some of my competition happens upon this blog, but while I don't exactly have visions for hoisting the virtual trophy, I hope that I do well enough to enjoy it and learn from my mistakes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just tell your wife how the game works. It took me a while to figure out why my husband was yelling for another team. He's on three teams this year, and does baseball and NCAA tournament. I am a fantasy ball widow..
Good luck with it. Hope you learn to like it!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Hello?

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home