Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Things About Me, 1 - ??

Ok, so I know that Jeff's done it, so has Scott, and now Jennifer bursts back onto the blogging scene doing it. When I first starting reading them, I remember thinking, "Good gosh, I doubt very seriously that I could come up with 100 things about myself to write." Call me modest, call me boring....call me SOMETHING. But as I read Jen's, I started coming up with a few of my own. So let's see where this goes, shall we? I can't promise 100, or even 50, but maybe I'll get going and won't be able to stop. What exactly do you know about Eric C. Russell?

1. Was born Wednesday, March 28, 1973--6 weeks premature. Weighed 5 lbs, 14 oz and had severe jaundice; didn't get to go home with my mom and spent lots of time under bright lights.

2. I could've been the youngest of two kids--My mom miscarried a baby prior to having me (she miscarried another prior to my brother being born).

3. I became a Notary Public in March 2003, and my current commission expires 2/23/11.

4. I was 'valedictorian' of my 7th and 8th grade class, an honor I would've no doubt retained had I stayed at Raleigh Egypt, thus firmly establishing Scott's role as my lifelong inferior. But now he has letters after his name and I don't.

5. My first car was a 1967 Mustang coupe that I got for my 16th birthday. 2nd car was a 1986 Mustang LX convertible that I bought on my own. 36 months @ $216/mo.

6. In 8th grade, I frequently cried in frustration when attempting Algebra homework. I guess the logic of 3x + 3y = 12 and 4x - 2y = 10 just didn't 'click'. (x = 3 and y = 1, in case you're wondering).

7. I'm a certified SCUBA diver. Did my classroom and pool time while at Vanderbilt, and did my certification dives locally with The Dive Shop at Greers Ferry lake in Heber Springs, AR. Haven't been diving since. Good think the certification is for life.

8. I once held a student pilot's license and logged 8 or 10 hours of flight. My instructor was too busy trying to get hours and advance his career to get little ole me more flight time, so the license expired 3 years after issuance.

9. My first kiss was on a church bus. Actually, on a charter bus returning home from a church trip.

10. I can juggle. Not 10 rings like those freaks at the circus, but the standard 3, thank you.

11. In high school, I placed 4th in Memphis and 8th in Tennessee on the National Spanish Exam.

12. I've been in 2 major auto accidents in my lifetime. The first, in 1990, was a virtual head-on collision caused by somebody trying to beat traffic against a green light. I escaped with a contusion of the nose which by all estimation should've been broken. In the 2nd, I was turning left and was t-boned by a 17-year old who was speeding down Walnut Grove and had been drinking (police report said, "judgment impaired."). I was extricated using the the jaws of life, and I had a broken left collar bone, compound fracture of my right tibia, as well as a fractured fibula. Yes, the metal rod is still in there and is lots of fun at airports.

13. I alphabetize my CD collection, first by artist (last name, first) and then album title. Not because I'm some OCD freak, it just seems the most logical way to find one that I'm looking for amongst a collection of 200+.

14. I utterly despise turnip/mustard greens and steamed cabbage.

15. My first job was at the age of 14, working at the Mid-South Coliseum, walking around yelling, "Popcorn, peanuts!". Commission was $.10 per item.

16. My first W-2 issuing job was as a bagger at Kroger. Started there making $3.50/hr and 3 or 4 weeks later was promoted to checker.

17. I shook hands with First Lady Barbara Bush in Nashville in 1992.

18. I didn't learn to swim until my dad and step-mom bought their house in Bartlett with the pool. I remember taking swimming lessons as a kid, but something never clicked. I would kick and move my arms and nothing happened. One day, I guess I got it all together.

19. I had a 24" 10-speed bike (as opposed to the standard 26") because I was too short.

20. I have never smoked, or dipped, and didn't drink an ounce of alcohol until I had turned 21.

Whew...20! That wasn't so bad. Stay tuned for more!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Scott. Eric blogged.

I almost fell out of my chair when I didn't see Keith Urban.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

No kidding. 2 consecutive days, no less.

Maybe I'm onto something. LOL

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But can he make it three?

2:24 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

Like Steve said...nice to see something other than a Keith Urban video when I clicked on the link!

And there is no doubt in my mind - if you had stayed at REHS, you would have graduated valedictorian. But your teachers wouldn't have been as good, especially in Physics and Spanish.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

you know i have a couple of our youth plays on tape, my fave is still where you were my dad, mr poppington and for some reason would occasionaly even though we were southern, break out in a spanish accent.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

waiting for 21-40...

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home