Friday, June 15, 2007

Click . . . Take a Pic!

(bonus points to the first parent who chimes in with that reference). If you know the answer and you're NOT the parent of a small child, then you just might have some explaning to do. Nieces or nephews, maybe...but that's about it.

In the "we must know each other really well" department, Leah and I were recently planning a gift for each other that ended up being the same thing. The result: a Canon PowerShot A570 digital camera. Did we have a digital camera? Yes. Was it worth a crap? No. It was a Fugi FinePix 1.3 mp camera that was heavy and clunky. And the little sliding lens cover thing was broken, and the display would sometimes say "Read Error" when reviewing pictures. Or that annoying red "Sorry, I ain't working" light would come on when attempting to take pictures. So it was time.

I had planned on getting one for Leah for our 10-year dating anniversary which was June 7. She admitted that it was her plans for our 5-year wedding anniversary in October, which would also give us a chance to have fun with it on vacation in October. So we decided we'd put our heads together and do the "It's our present to each other" thing.

Being analytical, I felt like I needed to review and read and get opinions. I was eyeing a Nikon at first, and Leah discovered this Canon. Then Googling that one turned up this guy, who seems to know a bunch about cameras and explains how a $150 camera can take just as good of an everyday pic as a $5000 camera can (also read the megapixel article, on how the camera industry is tricking us into believe that MP's are the litmus test, and how my 7.1 MP camera is thus hugely inferior to Steve's 10MP. Not exactly so.). Anyway, I read the reviews on cnet and went to Best Buy to grope their sales floor models (the cameras, not, uh, nevermind) and then pulled the trigger online. Why pay retail price plus 9.25% tax when a place like buydig.com sells its it for 20% less, no tax, and free shipping?

Now it's time to learn how to use the stuff that is at my fingertips. Exposure compensation and white balance and f2.5 shutter gobbledegook....wth?! I'm not trying to go pro, but I would like to know more of the "advanced basics" to take better pictures. I'm supposed to be taking an introductory-to-intermediate class tomorrow morning at Wolf Camera...One of those classes that they offer for free to people who buy cameras from them but allow evil people like me (who didn't) to pay for it. I envision a room full of 60-year-olds failing the final exam of "Please adjust your camera to manual flash" and feeling that it was a total waste of 2 hours, but I hope I'm wrong.

6 Comments:

Blogger steven.russell said...

Dude. That is Click the Camera from Go Diego Go.

So easy.

11:15 AM  
Blogger steven.russell said...

let me know how the class goes. i might go take one myself.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Eric C said...

will do man...maybe we can get together and go take some shots or something. Just you and I..the open road...on our motorcycles...Wait, we'll work on the last part. : D

11:50 AM  
Blogger steven.russell said...

awesome. i was thinking earlier today we needed to just go on a photo taking expidition.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Wow eric you blogged twice and left me a comment.
Happy Fathers day!!!
how is nicholas's ears?

11:06 PM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

When Jenn and I get ready to purchase our next camera (won't be that long from now), we will know who to contact for info. ;)

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home