Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Those &%$#@!* Bikers

I just wanna post this story. No particular reason. I'm not trying to convince anybody or win anybody over or change anyone's mind.

I really don't know what the "common" perception of motorcyclists is. For my parents and stuff, it probably started with Easy Rider. People might think of the Hell's Angels, or a big group of burly 50-year old men with beards and leather vests. Or 20-year old punks that ride "crotch rockets" and weave in and out of traffic with reckless abandon.

Yes, there are people that meet both of those stereotypes. But somewhere in the middle of the road, there are people that simply love to ride. And little did I know that when I bought my motorcycle in August, I was taking the first step in joining a fraternity. A fraternity that will stop and check on a fellow rider, regardless of what brand their bike is. A fraternity that will organize a charity ride to raise money for a sick child or a grieving family. A fraternity that will come to the aid of someone simply because we all love our "knees in the breeze.".

Case in point. I'm a member of a large online forum for my motorcycle, Volusiariders.com. One of the moderators, David, recently asked the board for a favor. His sister was wanting to do something special for her hubby's 65th birthday, but she was pretty much incapable because she's receiving chemotherapy for bone cancer--a tough task for somebody who's already beat breast cancer. So David was asking the members to send a birthday card to his brother-in-law, in an effort to get at least 65 cards to him. What did it cost me...a couple of bucks and a stamp? No problem.

The final tally was 105 cards, 53 of which came from Volusia board members. Here was the brother-in-law's response, posted today on the board:

To all the Volusia Riders who helped celebrate my birthday:

You cannot imagine the thoughts one experiences, when mail shows up from all over the country -- even Canada -- from people you do not know! At first I thought someone had made a mistake, then that my name had appeared on some "eligible for Medicare" website. Finally, someone signed a card "from the VR family" and I thought that one of my vocational rehabilitation organizations had my number and was sending cards due to my "old age." The next card I opened revealed "Volusia Riders," and I remembered that my brother-in-law, David Fox, had discussed the organization with me. All the while, my beloved wife sat with a straight face declaring, "I know nothing; I see nothing; I say nothing!" Three days and 65 cards later, my wife told me the story of David helping her to create this unique way to surprise and celebrate a birthday that just doesn't seem possible. Why, only yesterday we finished high school!

Both of us thank you for your caring and for the incredible notes in the cards. We feel as if we know each and every one of you who answered the call for cards and comment. David tells us you are special people, and there can be no doubt about that. One gentleman even stuck in two crisp one-dollar bills, with a note that he cannot send a birthday card without including cash! My wife has been especially touched by the prayers and kind words directed to her, as she experiences the return of cancer into our lives. You all deserve applause for your efforts. It was a wonderful addition to the celebration. Tremendous thanks!

I can honestly say that my $3 was well spent. Glad I could do it for your sister, David. Something tells me that you'd do the same for me. Ride Safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home