Saturday, December 30, 2006

Toys 'R Us, Friends We Ain't

Leah and I discovered today that we now have a newfound dislike for a store that we really never really shop at that much anyway: Toys R Us. Nicholas received two duplicate gifts for Christmas, but they were both very common items that were most likely available at any place where toys are sold for 1-2 year old children. One was a "Little People" set and another was a Playskool or Fisher Price item (I don't remember which).

So off we go to Toys R Us. Nice, big, bright poster instructing those with returns to head to the EXIT door for further direction--I guess this was part of the post-Christmas prep. We begin to see signs that say, "A receipt is required for all returns, exchanges, refunds, and store credits." I'm thinking, "OK, nobody in their right mind would expect cash if they didn't have a receipt, but surely a store credit/gift card would be possible for a NEW, UNOPENED product that they carry anyway." The lady says, "Nope, that's been our policy since June. You must have a receipt." Well, OK then.

For the most part, I partially understand the philosophy. From working customer service at Kroger, I acknowledge that people can get, shall we say, crafty, when it comes to returns and find lots of creative ways to beat the system (e.g., steal something at one store and get a refund for it at another). But most places that I know (Target, Wal Mart), have a system in place where a person cannot abuse this type of system. And then there's the element of subjective authority given to the customer service personnel--You can't bring a Christmas decoration back in mid-January, and you can't accept something that isn't in your store's system (because you obviously don't sell it).

But how customer UNfriendly is this? If I'm giving your store a sellable $20 item and then buying 20 or maybe 30 or 40 bucks worth of stuff, isn't it worth your while to accept my return? Take my driver's license number or address or phone number or what have you--it's 5 days after Christmas, for goodness sake--it's not like I'm making a living by doing returns.

And what makes this even worse is I called and asked for a manager. I just voiced my concerns about the draconian policy not being customer friendly, and the manager says, "That policy is handed down from corporate . . . but it really protects us as well as you." I say, "Did you get a receipt with everything you got for Christmas?" He replied, "No, but I'm 24 years old, and not trying to return something to Toys R Us." After making one more comment, he very matter-of-factly said, "Sir, there's nothing I can do for you." Maybe so, but do me a favor and at least pretend to give a rat's posterior.

So guess who accepted our return (with some conditions, of course), and got an additional 15-20 bucks of Christmas cash tonight?? Bullseye, that's who.

7 Comments:

Blogger steven.russell said...

You know. I saw that sign today and thought the same thing. There is no way they expect everyone to have a receopt after Christmas, right?!?

I guess I was wrong. Ironically enough, the boys were going there to spend some Christmas cash and we wound up going to Target because they were cheaper anyways.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Yeesh. That's harsh. Almost as bad as the stores with gift cards that charge "fees" for using them and deduct some of it if you don't use them in the first month.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I happened upon your blog. Nonetheless, your story about trying to return something at Toys R Us is MY story. I cannot believe they implemented such a unconsumer-friendly policy. I am so aggravated with the store that I may never shop there a again.

In addition, I too asked the manager if they received a receipt for every Christmas gift they received this holiday season, and they said no. While she was not helfpul at all, I feel sorry for the employees that have to implement such a horrid coroporate policy.

I was so frustated when I got home from the store that I called and made a formal complaint to the corporate office. I was told that I will receive a call within 10 days. We shall see...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

i agree with you,you assume they would atleast do store credit, i deal with this kind of stuff every year when people ask what size nathan wears and i tell them and apparently (my step mom ) thinks i'm lying because its always 2 sizes to small!so here we go to unfriendly customer service land...

10:26 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

thank you for thecomment, it's been so difficult but God is good to me and keeps me gpoing. its so weird that your a grownup, i know i'm older but it doesnt seem lik anyone else should b, i was thinking about how new years eve isnt the same without a game of communist vs christian.BTW your kid is such a cutie he is one of the cutest kids ive ever seen.good thing he looks like his mom huh?
oh and the yankees comment was just unnecessary!i have a picture of you in a titans do rag so be nice to me! :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Scott Rushing said...

How ironic...I just found out that one of my female classmates' husband is the manager of the Toys R Us here in Waco.

When I worked at Service Merchandise (remember them?), the week after Christmas we even accepted returns on stuff that the store didn't sell. Of course, that could be a reason why they went out of business???

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not harse, it's saves the company money. People steal and cheat, it's life. Toys R Us does have the option of looking up receipts from as far back as 90 days with just the purchasers phone number. STOP COMPLAINING, you are no different than anyone else, you will not receive special service because they don't know you from adam.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home