Monday, May 22, 2006

Bunko, Fajitas, and the A/V Crew

After the first part of last week was filled with nothing but work (had to work @ Kroger Mon, Tue, and Wed nights), I was eager for some days off. The schedule-makers smiled upon me, and had given me off Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (and Sunday, as it turned out).

Thursday night, Leah wanted to cook dinner and us have a nice, peaceful, relaxing evening at home. I offered to pick up Nicholas, since she had to start cooking at the trip to the babysitter's would've delayed her by 30-45 minutes. I got home with him, he ate some dinner, and then Leah and I settled down at the table for chicken enchiladas. It was a new recipe, and Leah thinks she might do a couple of things differently the next time, but all in all, it was good. Not too far from the end of the meal, the phone rang. It was Leah's dad, informing us that some relatives of his from Arkansas were in town for the evening and would LOVE to see the baby. I think they saw Nicholas at Christmas, but obviously he was only a month old at the time. As much as we wanted to just chill out, we didn't think there was much way to get out of the "come see your relatives" situation. So off to Bartlett we went, but only for probably 30 minutes to an hour. Nicholas was starting to get fussy--it was close to bedtime--and they were heading out on Friday for a cross-state drive toward North Carolina. So in reality, we were looking out for their best interests. : )

Friday night, our sunday school class was having a social. Originally, we were planning on a Saturday evening cookout at Buckhead Creek, our recreation complex. Plans changed when the church announced Friday evening childcare from 6:00-9:00. Being that most people in our class have 1 or more children under the age of 5, we decided to switch it to Friday and have a child-free get-together. Not that kids are a drag or anything, it's just that, well, never mind. If you have kids, you understand. The party was hosted by someone who recently moved into a new house, and the theme was mexican. There were chips, mexican dip, enchiladas, chicken enchilada casserole, tacos, and who knows what else. The recreation for the night was the fun part: Bunko. Leah has never played it. I certainly haven't (which I'm very proud of). But apparently several ladies of the class do on a regular basis and thought it'd be fun to play a nice, big, loud, full room game of Bunko. There isn't much to it, but the irony wasn't lost on me that the object was to take some dice and roll 3 6's. At a church function. And these dice were painted RED on the "6" side. Ohhhh....red 666. I'm cure Lucifer was smiling at his accomplishment (I'm SO kidding, by the way). But Leah and I were both able to avoid demonic infestation, because we didn't roll on the entire night. When asked about the game, Leah's replies were something like, "It's stupid" and "There is no point." So ladies, if you're down a Bunko player, I wouldn't exactly call Leah to fill in for the night.

Saturday morning, it was off to Home Depot to get stuff for the house. D-Day had arrived as far as getting the house ready to show. We had already extended our deadline by a week, and we'll never get it sold if it ain't showing, so it was time to put the finishing touches on the cleanup and repair. I won't go into too much detail, because I've got an entire blog dedicated to the process.

Saturday night, our friends Stacy and Mike came over. Wanna know what we had for dinner? Fajitas. Yes, that's mexican food for us 3 straight nights. Stacy and Leah work together, and the four of us have developed an incredibly unique friendship, perhaps strengthened by the fact that our lives have been virtually parallel since around 2001 or so. Leah and Stacy started at the bank around the same time, we got married around the same time, and had a baby around the same time. It's created some very unique friendships, and I'm sure will give the 4 of us lots of opportunities in the future involving our children, who are only 9 weeks apart (I don't know if we'll get that close on future kids, but at least the first ones are!). Anyway, we had a good time hanging out, and we've got a little weekend trip planned with them in the next couple of months.

A few weeks ago at church, we filled out a "ministry survey"--basically a selection of opportunities for service around the church. Maybe somebody has been wanting to get involved with Prison Ministry or Mother's Day Out or Welcome Center or whatever and just doesn't know how to go about it or who to ask. Being kind of technically inclined, I marked the Audio/Visual team. The head of the group, who is actually the father of somebody in our sunday school class, called me and told me about a meeting on Sunday. I think he was a bit disappointed in the turnout--only me and one other "new" person were there--but the team seemed genuinely grateful for us being interested. As it turns out, the crew is subdivided into stuff like video, audio, lighting, and recording. I think I'll probably start out on the video side, coordinating the big screens with song lyrics, pre-service info, sermon notes, and all of that. We use some software called Easy Worship, which I'm guessing is a slick, Jesus version of Powerpoint. I'm familiar with PowerPoint (the terms "Bill Gates" and "monopoly" come to mind), so hopefully I can pick it up without a prob. Heck, maybe when we host concerts and stuff (like Phillips, Craig, and Dean in September), I'll get one of those cool lanyards with a pass that says All Access or something like that. Yeah, that's what it's all about. A cool All Access pass. : ) I did a little of this stuff back at Merton (a LONG time ago) as kind of a backup deal, but never really felt really comfortable with it--but then again, it was a very simple setup. The hardest thing was turning up the volume and pressing "Play" on a cassette deck. But instead of 8 or 10 channels on the board that we had at Merton, I think we have 4 or 5 times that amount. But I'm anxious to learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home