Tuesday, May 30, 2006

2 Wheels and 5 Gears

So a little over a month ago, I blogged about the bike bug--the fact that my interest had been piqued by a friend of mine who bought himself a motorcycle.

Where does all that stand? Well, I still have it, and a 2-wheeled purchase is most likely on the horizon. Eventually. Being the analytical type, I'm still reading online reviews, talking to people, visiting dealerships, and checking on insurance. I've been to FRS Powersports, Kawasaki of Memphis, Leo's Cycle Sales, Polaris of Memphis, and Performance Plus Cycles. I've sat on a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD (with only 406 miles), a 2000 Vulcan 800 Classic (like this one), an '05 Vulcan 750, as well as a brand spankin' new Vulcan 900 and a Suzuki Boulevard C50. And today I picked me up a copy of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles.

I can definitely see how people get the bug, and it seems like a fun hobby to have. Of course, people love to tell you that you'll probably become a parapalegic before it's all said and done, but the funny thing is that I've run into more people who have been riding bikes 20 or 30 years and have NEVER been involved in an accident. Something like 50% of cycle accidents involve alcohol, and another large part of them occur within 5 months of people starting to ride (the lesson: practice, practice, practice, and....don't do anything STUPID!!). There seems to be a comraderie between riders, even if they're not Harley riders and participating the portable strip-clubs that are some weekend "rallys." I'm constantly hearing about people who have bikes who I'd least expect to have them or enjoy riding. My 50-something boss just got his license because his son just bought one (I think he might be renting one for a day or so on vacation). Steve said that Chopper 5 pilot Miles Dunagan has one. And let's not forget America's favorite late-night motorcycle enthusiast, Jay Leno.

Most salespeople start by highly recommending a rider course, which I'm planning on doing anyway. For one, I don't have a clue how to ride a motorized bike, but two, this course is coordinated through the non-profit Motorcycle Saftey Foundation and covers everything from classroom instruction to doing figure 8's in the parking lot. And Tennessee state law mandates a minimum 10% discount on insurance if you take the course (not that it's a big deal for me--I'm old and responsible, and it'll cost me about $250-300/year)

I know what you're saying . . . "Yeah, but what does Leah think?" Actually, she fully condones it. Her only request has been that we wait until we get into our house--mainly because we will have a garage to keep it in and take care of it. Leah's position is that there are a lot worse things that I could be doing besides riding a motorcycle. When I started driving, my dad started the incessant, "Be careful" routine. Almost annoyed, I said something like, "I WILL, Dad." His comment was, "It's not you I'm worried about--it's the other guy." I know that the "other guy" element is probably 10x worse on a bike, but it seems that the common element in most riders is a desire to be a better, safer, and more experienced cyclist each and every time you hop on. I plan on spending lots of time on empty parking lots and quiet streets, and I hope to enjoy many, many years outside of a 'cage.' (See--I'm already learning the lingo).

Where will it all end up? New or used? Kawasaki or Suzuki? Chain drive or shaft? Blue or black? I have no earthly idea, but I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home