Friday, January 06, 2006

T.V. Blogs

Perhaps people like Steve and Jeff, who have worked around the media/journalists/TV stations, don't really see their jobs as any big deal. But I think to the average Joe, the life behind and in front of the camera is kind of intriguing. Throw in some politics, intra-personal discord, management differences, etc. and there really is some interesting stuff that produces who isn't filing stories anymore or why such-and-such used to be on Channel 5 but is now on Channel 3.

I always find the stories that Steve tells quite interesting, but again, if it's going on over at WREG, a lot of what he might be a bit of rumor. Maybe more truth than the average person might have, but I'm guessing there's lots of gossip and "he said, she said." Occasionally I'll go over to a website like Peggy's blog (WMC's news director), but it's usually something like, "We rock, Channel 3/24/30 sucks........We're so much better........We'll always be #1........I caught part of a story by (insert reporter name here) and it sucked......Oh yeah and did I mention how much we rock?" But she did link to Joe Larkins' blog and I have pretty much gone back every day.

It is a very candid and enjoyable read, and isn't all about TV stuff. Some of it is, however, and he talks about stuff like the awkward, uncomfortable position that reporters are often put in to "just get the story", all the while not wanting to be outdone by the competition. Joe is a super nice guy, and I remember meeting him when I was a checker at Kroger.......He came through my line and was wearing a Vanderbilt sweatshirt, and I asked him if he went there (he didn't; his wife did). But Joe left WREG last year and recently began his blog. He blogged very honestly and candidly about his departure and how he's not sure if he'll go back to TV again. I found it very interesting how he says that some in the TV business want to get out, yet there are so many people wanting to get in. He and a FedEx pilot apparently told each other one time that they wished they could do what the other one was doing. Interesting. And I had no idea that 3 has "thrown everything but the kitchen sink at [Joe Birch] to get him to come on over" but apparently that man's loyalty runs very, very deep.

Jamey Tucker also has a new blog....He also departed Channel 3 and recently has moved to Nashville to be a religion-type reporter for WKRN-Channel 2. He too blogs about plenty of TV stuff, but also about stuff in general (today's is how much he doesn't 'get' Howard Stern). He has literally been in Nashville only a few days, but is already experiencing it, like getting lost somewhere on I-24/40/65/440. I feel your pain, dude.

Anyway, add it to your reads, if you so choose. I have found it very interesting, and have even left a comment or two on Joe's. I'm sure he (and everybody else in the TV clique) might be wondering who the &%$#@ I am, but oh well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I wish I could blog about TV related stuff, since I find my job super cool, but CNN would fire my butt if I ever talked about internal affairs. I won't even talk about the lousy water cooler or amazingly super cute girls working there for fear of reprisal.

1:08 PM  
Blogger steven.russell said...

Same here. Knowing your boss reads your blog makes blogging about work hard. Sure, there are days I would like to come home and vent....but I also like having a paycheck.

Perhaps one day...if/when I get out of the business.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Unfortunately, the good stuff, like News Blues and F'ed Television, are subscription.

Although there are decent blogs, like Media Bistro. I go to TV Newser a lot for the national cable news and gossip.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home