Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Melting Pot

I haven't blogged in a few days, so I thought I just toss some random thoughts and happenings out there.

*First, the obvious. Christmas. Last year, I swore that Leah and I were gonna start Christmas shopping in September and October. Well, this year we were pretty much preoccupied with the imminent arrival of our little bundle of joy. Leah usually goes shopping with her mom on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but this year, she sat out. Something about having a 4-day old baby and stuff. We're almost done shopping, and this weekend stumbled upon some really good, ideal gifts. There are some kinda-sorta hard-to-buy-for folks on our list, but all in all, I think we've got some great gifts for folks. My challenge has been getting Leah's presents wrapped--being that she's home all day, every day right now, I can't exactly come wagging them in the house to wrap. But I've got it taken care of with the help of a great little elf.

* Christmas bonus. Along with Christmas comes the anticipation of a Christmas bonus. The first year I worked here, I was pleasantly surprised when I was given an envelope at our Christmas party. This year, the video business as a whole has been a bit down, so there were some (including me) who would've certainly understood if it just wasn't in the realm of possibility to get one. But this year was no different--we got one. It is certainly nice to have, yet I realize that it is above and beyond the norm, and I am certainly grateful and blessed to have such a generous group of people to work for. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go wipe this brown-colored residue off of my nose.

* Leah and I are getting the ball rolling towards a new house. Now that Nicholas is here, we've started thinking about a backyard to hold a swingset, schools with a decent education record, and a neighborhood where our son will hopefully have friends to play in the dirt or ride bikes with. We are most likely looking east toward Arlington, not far off of Exit 24-25 of I-40 and Airline Rd. The big variable will be the ability to sell our house--unfortunately, I don't think Cordova is as hot of an area as Arlington is, so selling it might be a challenge. But building a house in new phase of an existing subdivision should give us at least 6 months to work with, so we'll see what happens.

* Do you ever want a toy, but couldn't really logically explain to anybody why you want it? Maybe it's a guy thing. I saw one of these at our SuperTarget, and I just think it'd be cool to have. Apparently it's supposed to be really close to the NeverLost system (although....Not Exactly. Sorry, couldn't resist) that Hertz has in their cars--which is VERY cool. There have been a few times where we've been in Louisville or Nashville, and had to ask directions to the nearest grocery store, or find another route because of construction, or something like that. Plus, throw in my real estate career (if you wanna call it that), and I could totally justify writing it off, I mean, spending that kind of money for it, but there are other priorities right now than GPS gadgets for our automobiles (hint: re-read the last paragraph). But if I were to win the PowerBall or something, I'm getting one. Mark my words. Unless I'm paying somebody to drive me around by that time.

* One last holiday thought. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I won't be spending any time at Christmas with my mom's side of the family. Apparently space limitations and expanding families have led us to the point where my mom and I won't be going over to my aunt and uncle's house (i.e., her sister and brother in law) where we've gone every year. I'm a bit disappointed--almost all of my family-related Christmas memories involve my cousins David, Jennifer, and Kevin. From "Breakfast with Santa" to Enchanted Forest to thinking that that one of the red lights on the tall tower were Rudolph's nose, David, Jennifer, Kevin, Brad and I were there on a lot of Christmas Eves and most Christmas Days ("What did you get?"). But at the same time, I guess the page has turned a little bit.......All of us have families now, and it is indeed very difficult to juggle multiple visits and several lunches and many batches of gifts. In recent years, Leah and I have literally gone non-stop ALL day on Christmas and been really, really tired at the end of the day. So this year, it'll be a little less hectic, and it'll be time to make a whole other set of memories involving a little boy named Nicholas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home