Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Texas de Brazil Tuvo Un Fuego

So the anniversary dinner was quite an event. A very interesting experience, to say the least. I guess if I was one of those habitually unhappy people, it would've royally pissed me off, and I'd be ranting and raving about what a terrible night we had and threatening to write to the company president, the Better Business Bureau, and the Brazilian Embassy. But we took it in stride and said that we'll always remember our 3rd anniversary.

Reservations were for 6:30 at Texas de Brazil. If you recall, my first and only time there was at a company function, and Leah hasn't ever been. Kristi and Joe condoned the anniversary visit, so we planned it. I had even signed up for their "eClub" and had gotten a buy one/get one free "Happy Anniversary" dinner coupon via email. So.....I figured that we'd probably end up having the same size tab as any other nice, linen-tablecloth type place.

We find us a spot in the Peabody Place parking garage, about 1/2 block from the restaurant entrance off of 2nd St. As we approach the intersection to cross, we hear sirens screaming. Then we notice the pole-mounted rotating red lights turning, indicating the fire trucks coming our way. We see 2 or 3 make a go through this very intersection--a couple of which were pulling along the curb, parking along the very path we were to be following leading to the restaurant. I'm thinking, "Peabody Place is pretty big--I'm sure sombody pulled an alarm or something." We keep walking. Past the pumpers, with firepeople getting off, fulling dressed in their attire and complete with oxygen tank on the back. We spotted (and heard!) a couple of other trucks--even one hook and ladder.

So we walk into the restaurant and greet the hostess. "Hi. 6:30 reservation for Russell." Here's what we heard, "OK, well.....just to let you know, the fire alarms were set off in our kitchen, so all of the meat got watered down. It's gonna be awhile before the grills get back on and the meat is ready. You're more than welcome to sit down and enjoy our salad bar while you're waiting." I said, "How long is 'awhile'? If you were me, would you wait?" I mean, no disrespect to the salad bar, but I'm not there to pay $40/person to get full on rabbit food and sushi. The response: at least 45 minutes to an hour, so we decided to go elsewhere. The manager did sign off on our little email coupon thingee, so hopefully we won't endure any problems using it in the future. If so, I'll lay it on thick about my anniversary dinner being perfectly ruined by his stupid restaurant. And I still had to pay $1 for like 33 minutes in the garage.

We were disappointed, but it didn't ruin our night. We kinda chuckled about it and said that it was definitely a memorable one. We ended up eating Japanese food at Nagasaki, and look forward to eventually enjoying a flame-free night with the gauchos south of the equator.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

I think Nagasaki is what I miss most about Memphis. Other than you guys of course. :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Wow, either one sounds tasty to me. Maybe I need to make a trip to Memphis just for Brazilian steakhouse then Nagasaki! The same day!

Although, of course, I'll call ahead and make sure the Russell party doesn't set off any fire alarms.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Eric C said...

I've always called Nagasaki "Poor man's Bennihana" because you can eat for about half the price. I think the chefs at Nagasaki may lack some of the entertainment abilities/training/etc. of its competitor, but it's still very, very good food. We had a great time.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home