Friday, September 02, 2005

This Thing's a Gas

This gas thing is really a trip. In a very annoying sort of way. While I concede that there are definite issues with supply in some areas (notably Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama), I firmly believe that one thing--panic--is transforming a moderately concerning situation into something much greater.

This week, I've heard that gas stations were gonna be closing at an appointed time. I've heard that gas is about to immediately jump to $4.00/gal. Amazing how these rumors get started and get everybody in a tizzy. Here we sit, in Memphis, TN, where there is a refinery running at regular capacity, yet stations are running out of gas not because there is some big shortage, but because everybody is freaking out and running to the gas station, essentially creating a pseudo-shortage!!

It's absolutely CRAZY. One of my closing duties at Kroger is to count down the money till at the fuel center when it closes at 10. We ran into an issue Wednesday night, in the form of cars 6-8 deep at 10:00P. In order to maintain our personal safety, we pretty much decided to not close right then, but we were running low anyway. So we just let them keep pumping until we were out. Which happened about 30 minutes later. Yesterday we got a delivery around 1:00P, I think, and last night we were out of regular and running low on premium. This is ridiculous.

I blame stupidity. I blame the press. I blame the gullible people who believe that somehow, there really is a coordinated effort to close all gas stations at a certain time. You mean to tell me that there were rumors in Florida and South Carolina too? Amazing. Gullible people must be everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home