Friday, August 12, 2005

Texas Hold On--Could You Explain That?

Poker is everywhere these days. Really. I think the last time we went to Buffalo Wild Wings, the World Series of Poker or something like that was on ESPN and thus on one or more of the big screen TV's. I've always tuned it out--no questions asked. Blackjack--I know and understand and could watch what was going on. But not poker, and especially not this insanely-popular Texas Hold 'Em variation. Earlier this year, Kroger even tried to capitalize on the trend (as did numerous other stores) by getting in some poker tabletop sets, chips and cards sets, etc. Once again, I just didn't understand the fascination of it all. Give me Spades, or Uno, or Phase 10. But Texas Hold 'Em--nope. Then, the whole "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it" thing started to set in.

It seems that the fine folks at Fox and Hound host poker tournaments on Thursday nights. No money to play or anything like that. They just give you some chips and you play in tournament-style til there's a winner in the whole place. This is obviously an INCREDIBLY smart idea on the managment's part--it brings people in in droves to spend money on fat bar tabs, and all they're out is a few card sets and some prizes. Anyway, several of my Kroger buddies go up there on Thursday--some to play and some to hang out--so last night I joined them just to engage in casual conversation and beverages. 7 tables x 8 people = 56 folks started playing cards. Plus some more waiting in a queue to replace those who go out first. Wow. So of course, I start asking questions. What about this? Why is he doing that? Suddenly, I'm learning why this game is said to be easy to learn but difficult to master. The premise is quite simple--you are dealt 2 cards, like blackjack, and there are 5 cards placed face up the middle of the table. Any combination of 5 from those 7 cards make your poker hand. But only 2 of those 5 belong exclusively to you--the other 3 are in the middle and can be also be claimed by everybody at the table. And sometimes, it just comes down to who has a higher card--kinda like "Battle" when you were 7.

Some guys at my office grab a quick take-out bite of lunch on Fridays and sit in a small conference room and play cards. Any guesses as to what they play? Yep. So being that I had kinda gotten my feet wet knowledge-wise last night, I decided to spectate today and see if I could follow along. Seems pretty simple. But definitely seems fun. Uh oh.

Anyway, I don't know where all this is gonna lead. But I also heard today that some husbands of some of Leah's co-workers get together once a week and have the proverbial poker night. Hmmmmmm.......I wonder what they play?! I may try to find some practice rounds, and start honing my skills.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Rushing said...

I was surprised to find out upon arriving in grad school that there is a monthly game here. In the religion department no less. I have played a few times, and even came in third one time (out of 16) and won $15.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised to find out that Texas hold'em is popular in Texas???

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

At 2 a.m. it's pretty compelling television. I'm a wussy gambler, but the way your co-workers do it at the bar would be a hoot. I mean, they do have Go Fish, too, right?

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home