Friday, December 03, 2004

Gee, I Never Saw It Coming

I'm sure there are 6,398 other blogs in blog-world that are discussing sports, and will hash out the whole steroids thing. But here's my thing:

In the last two days, word has come out that Jason Giambi and Barry Bonds used banned substances. Yet the Player's Association union is against testing because they say it invades privacy. So, what's better--A clean player who hits 60 homeruns or a drugged player who hits 70? It seems that the Players Association prefers the latter. What's next? A player can keep marijuana is his locker because to prevent him from doing so would invade his privacy? Unions are around for one PRIMARY reason--the are a business that makes money. Ever heard of a non-profit union, or a union filing chapter 13 bankruptcy? Me neither. But their mask of "protecting players' interest" is getting a bit cloudy. If minor leaguers can be tested, so can the big boys. I hope Bud Selig sticks to his guns and says, "My way or the highway." Major League Baseball has finally recovered disenchanted fans from the strike-shortened season several years ago. They cannot afford to have a big player-centered controversy that makes paying fans everywhere write off the sport.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite part about Barry Bonds' denials: "No, really, I didn't know they were steroids. I don't know how my head grew six sizes?!"

5:00 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Anonymous? Why doesn't that comment recognize the greatness that is Jeff's link? Dangit all to heck!

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home